Birth Parent Rights & Responsibilities
I have the RIGHT to:
- Be treated with respect, dignity, care, and individualism at all times by all agency representatives.
- Be free from illegal or improper discrimination.
- Choose whether or not to place my child for adoption.
- Have all questions or concerns addressed in a timely, respectful manner.
- Develop a unique, individual adoption plan.
- Select an adoptive family to parent my child, and to be satisfied that the family I select is suitable for adoption.
- Be heard on whether an adoption will be open or closed and the level of openness desired.
- Have clear understanding regarding the relinquishment process.
- Receive information about financial support available through the agency from prospective adoptive parents, as well as through local community resources.
- Have no undue pressure, duress, undue influence, misrepresentation, or deception regarding the decision of adoption.
- Receive independent, legal counsel.
- Receive medical care for the pregnancy.
- Receive counseling regarding the adoption decision.
- Be assured of privacy of information and privacy for both current and closed records.
- Be able to express a grievance or complaint.
- Communicate by telephone or in writing with family, attorney, physician, clergyman, and case worker, except when this is considered contraindicated by the licensed clinical professional.
- Send and receive mail so long as security, general health, and safety requirements are met.
- Receive referrals to appropriate community resources, including but not limited to housing, counseling, Medicaid, and other medical resources, even if I decide to parent my child and to not complete the adoption plan.
- Not be required to reimburse the agency or the adoptive family for any living expenses or costs of prenatal care I incurred while receiving agency services from Adoption.org.
- Be forthcoming and honest in all communication with the staff at Adoption.org.
- Be forthcoming and honest with the prospective adoptive family.
- Comply with all the rules of the program at Adoption.org.
- Comply with the agreements as to openness.
- Take responsibility for all medical costs related to my pregnancy, including prenatal care, labor, delivery and all hospital, physician, lab and other medical services received, if I choose to parent my child.