Foster adoption: How to adopt a child or sibling group from the U.S. foster care system
In 2000, the Gladney Center for Adoption expanded its commitment to children and families by the creation of the New Beginnings Program. The New Beginnings Program helps to connect families to children who are in the foster care system that are ready and available for adoption. It is our belief that every child deserves a permanent, loving home.
Through this program, Gladney helps to assist the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services by helping to recruit loving adoptive homes for children who are waiting in the Texas state foster care system. Many of these children are over the age of 7, and a lot of these kids have been removed from their homes because of neglect or abuse.
The Gladney Center for Adoption and the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services do not charge any fees for adoptive parents to adopt a child who is in the custody of Child Protective Services (CPS). Additionally, the state of Texas also offers financial assistance for eligible children which include a monthly stipend, healthcare benefits, and a college tuition waiver for the child to go to public universities that are in Texas.
Adopting an Older Child
When a child in the foster care system is 7 years and older, he or she may become available for adoption. However, the child will only become available for adoption when his or her birth family can no longer meet the child’s needs. A lot of things can happen for this to occur. The health condition and poverty of the child’s birth family often play a role in the decision of the birth family to create an adoption plan for their child through Gladney. Mainly, these situations happen on a limited basis, but when they do, the fees are largely underwritten by Gladney's fundraising efforts.
What Gladney's New Beginnings Program Offers:
- Direction and guidance from staff
- Trusted and experienced legal professionals
- Parent support group membership
- Parenting education that is specialized (includes Gladney's Pathways Training)
- Support services post-placement
If you are interested in adopting through Gladney’s New Beginnings Program, you must be open to the following:
- Children who are currently in foster care within the state of Texas (these children are available for immediate adoption)
- An older child (children who are 7 years old and older who are available for adoption)
- Sibling groups (ages of children range from 5 years old and older)
- Minority children
- Children who are medically challenged
Because the New Beginnings Program is highly specialized and involves a lot of unique and challenging situations, families are selected based upon the following:
- Families must have the ability to provide the care, experience, and love that is necessary for each individual child’s needs
- Must be prepared to procure the needed medical resources for the child. Gladney will assist families with attaining the necessary subsidies for qualifying children